Themes are a special aspect of MovieStarPlanet. Every Thursday (with rare exceptions), there is a new theme. Along with each new theme normally comes new clothes, items, animations, backgrounds, a new site background, and a competition based on it. As of June 2015, there is also a theme chat room which changes to match each new theme.
Themes are often random; however, they are sometimes based (or partially based) on the time of year, and/or events going on at the time.
Themes are created not only to keep the game fun, up-to-date, and interesting, but also to showcase and allow players to explore different cultures and subcultures around the world or within society. The goal of this is to teach players that they don't have to restrict themselves to any particular style and should express themselves by being whoever they want to be.
Below is a slideshow of themes starting from the week of January 5th, 2017.
See all themes from 2011-2016, and some themes from 2010 and 2009 here.
- There are a couple of themes that have lasted longer or started earlier than others (this may also result in another theme being shorter). MSP hasn't disclosed their reasoning for doing this to all the themes they have done it for, but it is suspected that they do it based on the dates or times of certain events.
- Theme previews are posted on MSP's various social media accounts (generally on Mondays as of 2015).
- They previously posted global competition results.
- Some themes have temporarily reintroduced some retired and other exclusive clothing items. These themes include: "Rockin' Retro" (2013), "MSP Retro Rarez!" (2014), "MSP Rare Week 2015" (2015), "Spring Rares" (2016), "Rares! Fall '16" (2016), "Spring Rares 2017" (2017) "September Rares" (2017), and "Xmas Rares 2017" (2017).
- For a brief period in 2014, MSP used their pinterest account to host galleries which contained real-life references and inspiration for items within some themes.
- Themes in the past would sometimes include new music; however, because the music shop hasn't been updated in many years, it's unclear whether or not this will happen again in the future.