Chatrooms are a special aspect of MovieStarPlanet, where users can meet and chat with others.
There are seven chat rooms that players can visit:
- Mall (Level 8+)
- Skate Park
- VIP Club (For VIP Members Only)
- Pet Park (Any pet needs to be equipped before entering.)
- High School (Removed during June 2015)
- Cinema (Removed during 2016)
Each chatroom has multiple servers that can be viewed by clicking the dropbar. A new server is added once others become full.
MovieStarPlanet's chatrooms (and Player Rooms) previously included a games feature, which you could play with friends. They were all retired at an unknown date. The games included:
- A trivia game, where you are asked questions.
- An "autograph" game, where you have to catch the stars.
Although chatrooms are fun and a great way to talk to new people, they can also be dangerous. Many have experienced incidents with hacking, inappropriate language, etc. Users are encouraged to be on the lookout for danger.
All chatrooms (in MovieStarPlanet, MovieStarPlanet 2 and BlockStarPlanet) are programmed with a "chat filter", which can, at some points, be restrictive. Certain phrases and words when combined certain ways in a sentence may be blocked. The moderator safety screen ("MSP Police") will appear if you use a blocked word or phrase; ignoring this warning will result in a 5 minute ban from entering chatrooms.
- Before an update in 2011, every chatroom was available for all users. However, each chat room had a VIP server, a level 2+ server, and a level 5+ server.
- Before the level update in 2014, the mall was level 5+.
- Before an update in June 2015, there was a High School chatroom, which was then replaced by the "Themes" chatroom. This was likely due to the chatroom being more prone to glitches and bugs than the others.
- The backgrounds of the Beach and Mall chatrooms were changed on 8th January 2019.